Staying Close When Living Far Away: 6 Tips to Keep Connected
You’ve already read and mastered the Top 5 Long-Distance Moving Tips. Bags are packed (or unpacked) and you’re far from where you’ve always called home. Adventures and learning opportunities are everywhere!
But distance can be hard on relationships, whether a significant other or family and friends. Here are a few ideas for staying close when you can’t be near each other.
- Video chat. Video chatting beats the phone by far. Instead of sharing just words, you share expressions. The communication paradigm completely changes, most often for the better.
- Ship gifts. Consider surprising a loved one with a gift. Zappos has free shipping (both ways!), so even if it’s not perfect it’ll totally brighten their day and save you cash!
- Write letters. Email is lovely, but there’s something nostalgic about a hand-written letter. Try to include other tokens of your adventures: printed photos, a pressed flower, or other piece of your new home.
- Play RPGs Together. Perfect for friends (or, for me, little brothers). Meet up through the internet and trash talk as if you were in the same room.
- Learn virtually together. Taking an online class is easier than ever. Taking a class together can mean studying together and creating a dedicated time to converse. If you’re not interested in taking a class, read a book at the same time and share your thoughts.
- Send Pictures & Video. See something funny or relatable to your friends throughout your day? MMS-away! If that’s not your style, use social media to share instead. Facebook is great for something a little more comprehensive, but Twitter is a fun way to share the day-to-day stuff too!
Keep in mind that you moved for a reason. Sure, it’s no fun being apart, but you’ve opened yourself to a wide opportunity for new things. It’s okay to be homesick sometimes, but make sure to put yourself out there before allowing yourself to be captive to your old home. Pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone can be very healthy.
Still feeling homesick? Bring your old home to your new home!
- Make dishes your mom makes and share them with new friends.
- Fly your friends out to visit and give them the grand tour.
- Print out photos of your favorite pieces of home for display.
- Purchase indoor plants that remind you of home’s outdoors.